PERSONAL INFORMATION POLICY
Juripop is required to collect, access, disclose and use personal information about you as a not-for-profit legal services organization.
The purpose of this policy is to inform you about Juripop’s handling of your personal information and your rights with respect to that information. By submitting your personal information to us, you consent to its use in accordance with this policy.
Juripop may request several types of personal information from you. This personal information is necessary for the analysis of your file, for the opening of your file and the services provided by the Juripop team.
Depending on your request, the personal information collected may be as follows:
- Your first and last name
- Your date of birth
- Your postal address
- Your e-mail address
- Your telephone number
- Identity document(s)
- Proof of income to determine financial eligibility
- Your legal aid documents
- Details of your file
- Your documents
- Legal documents
- Documents required to provide legal services, such as medical reports or administrative documents
- The identity of other parties involved in your case
- Banking information or payment details
- Information about your past work, such as a curriculum vitae
- Browsing preferences and habits, such as cookies or information about your electronic devices.
For example, this information may be collected when your file is opened, following a service call, for legal services, for your participation as a volunteer, or when you register for our training courses or newsletters.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Your personal information may be used for several purposes:
- To identify you and determine your eligibility for our services
- To provide legal services
- To communicate with you
- Prevent and detect fraud and illegal activities
- To manage risk
- Conduct studies and surveys to gather and collate statistics
- To recover amounts owed to us
Your personal information may be communicated to the following persons:
- Juripop, its employees, board of directors and volunteers
- Any person authorized to act on your behalf
- Our service providers or partners
Where applicable, your consent will be sought before any use or disclosure.
Personal information is stored primarily on servers located in Quebec.
When personal information must be stored or communicated on a server outside Quebec, Juripop has first conducted a privacy impact assessment to ensure adequate protection of personal information.
Personal information is retained only as long as required by law. After that time, it is destroyed or completely anonymized so that it cannot be used to identify you.
Juripop takes all necessary measures to ensure the security of personal information. These include :
- Protection of Juripop’s physical premises
- Protection of Juripop’s technological equipment
- Use of secure passwords
- Restricting access to only those who need to consult personal information
- Where available, the highest confidentiality measures are those activated by default
You have the right to refuse to provide personal information. However, it is essential to understand that providing the requested services may be difficult or even impossible without certain personal information.
You have the right to request access to the personal information collected about you. Subject to applicable law and legislative exceptions, Juripop must provide you with a copy of the personal information held about you. The same applies to a person’s next of kin who would be legally entitled to access such personal information.
You have the right to have any personal information held about you corrected. To facilitate proper record keeping, we invite you to inform us of any changes to your personal information so we can make the appropriate amendment.
You have the right to request that Juripop cease disseminating personal information about you or remove a hyperlink to your name.
Juripop does not currently use identification, location or profiling technology or make decisions based on automated processing. You have the right to be informed if Juripop adopts such technologies.
Juripop makes every effort to identify any situation considered a confidentiality incident. Barring legislative exceptions, you will be notified if the case presents a risk of serious harm.